Step-by-step tutorial with images
This Macrame cat is about 2,5" long. To make it you will need 12 threads (I used 1mm waxed cotton cord) 3' long each, - total 36-38 feet or 12 yards, and two 3-5 mm beads for Cat's eyes.
1. Double a thread and make a knot in the middle. Pin it to a cushion. Then take two other cords and mount them on the first one with the Lark's Head knots (make an extra loop on each side).
3. Take 3 other cords and repeat steps 1-2 to create the second ear (but make sure that it is not identical - but mirrors the first ear).
Place the 7th cord horizontally underneath the Ears.
4. Make Double half hitches on the horizontal cord with each of the 12 ends.
5. Criss-cross two middle threads and tie Double Half hitches in chess order.
You will have this pattern when you're done:
6. Now to Cat's eyes. Make a Frivolite knot on one side of the base cord..
..Then pin the knot down and direct the working cord inward, then using it as a base cord, make on it two Double Half Hitches:
7. Then make Double half hitches on the first working cord, underneath the first row.
8. Continie making Double half hitches on the base cord (it wil be a contour of our Cat's face). Keep adding the previous working cord to the next base cord.
9. Pull a bead through the 3rd cord of the eye. Then make a Double half hitch underneath. Then another one on the outer base cords.
10. Make the 4th pair of Double half hitches, then bring together the upper and the lower base cords (tie a Double half knot again). One eye is ready!
11. Continue with the Cat's nose (tie a Frivolite knot with and extra loop).
12. Finish the contour of the face. Keep tying the Double half hitches, but leave next three times the working cords out - these will be the Cat's whiskers.
Repeat steps 6-11 to create another eye. Take four middle cords (the Cat's nose) and tie a Square knot.
13. Tie together the base cords from both sides of the Cat's face and tie then together with a Double half hitch knot or just a simple overhead knot. This is what you will have now:
14. Cut off the three top cords (whiskers).
15. Direct the outmost cord inward and using it as a base cord, make a row of Diagonal Hitches.
16. Repeat on the other side.
17. In the next row of Hitches use the outmost cord as a base again. Leave the first working cords out in the 3rd row.
18. Take the cords that you have left out and mount a doubled cord on each side.
19. Tie 3-4 Frivolite knots with one of the ends. Then take another end, direct it down, along the last row of Hitches (step 17) and tie two Double Half Hitches on it. Then take four cords in the middle and tie a Square knot.
20. Direct the working cord from the Frivolite knots (step 19) inward and tie two Double half Hitches with and extra loop on it. Repeat on another side.
21. Put together 4 cords in the middle (see picture below) and make 4-5 Squre knots on them.
22. Take two outmost cords. Mount one doubled cord on one side, and two - on the other (this side will be the Cat's tail):
23. Take one of the ends of the doubled cord, that you just mounted, direct it inward, and tie on it two Double half Hitches (with and extra loop) - like in step 20. Repeat on the other side.
24. Make 3 Frivolite knots on the outmost cord (repeating step 19).
25. Bring two outmost cords together and using them as a base, tie a Double Half Hitch with an extra loop. Then add a working cord to the base cords and tie another Double Half Hitch. Repeat on another side.
26. Now take the outmost right working cord and direct it to the left. Tie on it Double Half Hitch knots with each of the cords (it should be 15 of them).
26. Take the last, 15th cord, and tie 8-10 Frivolite knots on the base cord. Point the sennit up, towards the doubled cord that we left out.
27. Using the two cords of the sennit as a base, tie on them one Double Half Hitch knot with one of the left-out cords. Take another end and keep making the Frivolite knots on two base cords.
28. Curve the sennit of the Frivolite knots in shape of cat's tail.
29. Tie these two cords together and keep making the Frivolite knots with the leftover two cords (8-10 more knots).
30. Tie the cords to Cat's "side", make sure that knot is on underside of the Cat. Turn your work upside down and cut off all the extra threads. You can use some clear glue or a lighter to secure the knots (poly and waxed cord melts and seals the ends).
You are done with your project - Macrame Cat!
Back view of the Macrame cat: