Macrame Plant Hanger with Beads
Step-by-step instruction and scheme
•X - Square Knot
•W - Wind Knot
•R - Double Half Hitch
•S - Spiral Braid
•G - "Gourmand" pattern
•C - Chain Braid
•K - Capuchin Knot
•F - Frivolite
•L - Loop Knot
•H - Chameleon Braid
•B - "Berry" Pattern
•P - The Square Knot with Picot
To make this plant hanger you will need around 30-32 yards of 2-3 mm cord (approximately #18 - #24 size), 20 beads (I used wooden 10mm beads) and a plastic, wooden or metal ring (1 – 2 inches in diameter). Choose poly cord for outdoor plant hanger, it is more weather resistant than cotton.
1. Cut 8 cords about 3,5-4 yards long each.
2. Take 4 cords and make a Square Knots braid consisting of 10-15 Square knots in the middle section of the cords (2 base cords - 2 working cords).
3. Make a loop with the Square Knots braid and gather all the ends with a small Wind Knot.
4. Step down about 2 - 3 inches under the Wind Knot and mount the cords on the ring, using Double Half Hitch knots.
In between mount the rest 4 threads (doubled) using the Larks head knots with an extra loop on each side.
You will have this:
5. Gather all cords under the ring and make one more Wind Knot.
6. Now you have 16 ends. Separate them all into 4 sections of 4 cords. Take one section of 4 cords and tie 7 - 10 Square Knots (2 base - 2 working cords), then pull through a bead's hole two base threads and make 2 more Square Knots. Step down couple inches and make a Square Knot again. Again run the base threads through a bead and make a Square Knot with Picot, and then a regular Square Knot. One more time pull the base cords through a bead and make anothe Square knot. Then step down several inches and make a Square Knots braid consisting of 7 - 10 knots. You will have a pattern similiar to this:
Repeat 3 more times with each section of 4 cords.
7. Separate the 4 cords at the end of a Square Knots braids into two parts. Make 2 Chain braids on those two cords, about 2 inches long (consisting of 10-15 loop knots).
6. Connect two Chain braids from two opposite Square Knots Braids with the “Gourmand” pattern (1,5 Square knot), then run 2 base threads through a bead and make one more "Gourmand" pattern under the bead.
7. Make two 2" Chain braids and connect them with a Square Knot with Picot.
8. Under the Picot knot make two more 2" Chain braids and connect them with a Gourmand knot.
9. Step down 1-2 inches (depending on a width of a pot that you are going to use) and gather all the cords with a Wind Knot.
9. Tie Capuchin knots on each cord's end and cut off the extra cord.
Now you have a pretty handmade Macrame Plant hanger that is sure to get lots of compliments!