Macrame Hearts Wall Hanging Tutorial
Step-by-step instructions with images
The measurements of the item are around 17” x 30”
You will need around 100 yards of 3 mm cotton or poly cord (used cotton 32 ply cord), a 17” wooden dowel (1/2” width), fabric dye – optional.
1. Cut the cord: 8 pieces 12’ each, 1 X 12’, 24 x 7’, 2 x 8’.
2. Take first 8 cords (12’) and mount them on the dowel using Larks head (LH) knots.
3. Take the 4th cord from the left side – it will be a base cord – step down an inch and make on it 4 Double half hitch (DHH) knots.
4. Repeat step 3 on the right side.
5. Now we will make a Diamond pattern in the middle of our Heart. Connect base cords with a DHH knot, then make 2 DHH knots with 2 working cords on the right.
Make 2 DHH knots on the left side.
Next turn the right base cord to the left and make 2 DHH knots. Repeat on another side and connect base cords with a DHH knot.
6. Now take the first working cord from the right side, direct it to the right, and using it as a base cord make 3 DDHH knots. Then turn the base cord to the left and make a 7 DDHH knots.
7. Repeat on the left side, then connect the base cords with a DHH knot.
8. Now to the next Heart. Take the 4th cord from the right side and direct it to the right. Make 3 DHH knots on it.
Turn the base cord to the left and make a 4 DHH knot. Repeat on another side.
9. Make the Diamond pattern in the middle repeating step 5.
10. Make 3 more DHH knots on each side of the Diamond pattern, then connect the base cords with a DHH knot.
11. Repeat the steps 9-10 3 times – you will have 5 interconnecting Hearts. Make a Diamond pattern at the bottom (step 5).
13. Now lets finish the ends of our wall hanging with Long Barrell knots. Step down around 10-12”. Make sure the middle part of the wall hanging is slightly longer than the sides.
14. Next we will make a background part of the wall hanging. Take the longest, 12’ cord and mount it on the dowel with two DHH knots about 16” apart. Make the middle part of the cord to sag slightly.
15. Double 2 8’ cords and 24 7’ long threads and mount them on the middle part of the cord using LH knots (mount the longer 8’ cords on the sides).
16. Direct the outmost left cord to the right and make on it 24 DHH knots right underneath the LH knots. Repeat on the right side, then connect the base cords with a DHH knot (or just a simple overhand knot).
17. Again take the outmost left working cord and direct it to the right. Make on it 24 DDHH knots, increasing the distance between the previous row of DHH to around 3”. With first 10 cords alternate regular DHH knots and DHH knots with an extra loop on one side. Repeat on the right side, then again connect the base cords with a DHH knot.
18. Repeat step 17 one more time. Finish the ends of the background layer’s cords with the Long Barrel knots. Start in the middle and make sure that the middle part is slightly longer than edges, and hangs below the front layer’s bottom, then gradually make the ends shorter to the sides.
19. Place the Hearts layer on top of the background layer, in the middle or if you prefer - slightly to the side (I placed mine to the right side).
Your Heart wall hanging is ready!
Optional: For the two-tone effect, you can dye either front or back layer of the wallhanging. I decided to make mine ombre (there are plenty instructions online how to do it), and I was happy with the result. Or you can always use two different color cords for back and front layers.